Health & safety
Councils deliver a wide range of public health services, and prepare Public Health and Wellbeing Plans for their communities.
Services may include:
- Public health: registration and inspection of health (beauty) premises and prescribed accommodation
- Food safety: inspections, permits and registrations
- Community safety: CCTV security cameras, safe taxi ranks, school crossing supervisors
- Emergency management planning
- Public toilets
- Street lighting
- Litter bins
- Infection disease control
- Swimming pools, spas and their safety barriers
- Tobacco: enforcement of smoking laws and bans on sale of cigarettes to minors.
- Monitoring for noise, smells, smoke and pest control.
Learn more about
- Learn about the right licenses, registration and permits you need for your business
- See council tobacco activity reporting
- Find out about council food safety roles
Did you know?
Councils ensure the health and safety of communities by…
- Registering more than 73,000 fixed and mobile food businesses
- Conducting more than 12,000 tobacco education and enforcement visits
- Spending more than $50 million on public street lighting.