Pets & animals
Councils help to ensure responsible pet ownership, and also manage nuisance and pest animals on public land. Local laws officers respond to a range of animal and pet concerns including collection of stray animals and investigation of complaints about animals.
Services provided by councils include:
- Pet ownership: pet registration, off-lead areas and disposal bags, permits for keeping animals, micro chipping days
- Animal shelters: pet adoption and reuniting lost pets with owners
- Livestock permits
- Control of pests and nuisance animals
- Registering and monitoring of pet breeding businesses
- Investigation of barking dogs, dog attacks and other animal complaints.
Responsible pet ownership with Hobsons Bay from MAV on Vimeo.
Learn more about
- Council animal management responsibilities
- Animal Welfare Victoria
- What to do if you have a barking dog complaint.