Arts & culture
Local government invests in arts and culture to provide economic, social and cultural outcomes across regional and metropolitan Victoria.
Councils provide a range of arts and culture spaces and services for their communities, as well as hosting events and festivals that bring communities together. Services may include:
- Art galleries and art trails
- Theatres and performing arts venues
- Public libraries and mobile library services
- Historical buildings and museums
- Council and community halls
- Community centres
- Public art and public festivals/events
- Citizenship ceremonies and Australia Day awards.
Learn more about
- Directory of Public Library Services in Victoria (PDF - 8.2MB)
- Councils’ arts and culture work
- How councils support diversity within their communities
Did you know?
Victorian libraries provided by councils...
- loan 48.5 million items a year
- have 2.2 million library members
- experience 30.8 million library visits a year
- have 3.6 million bookings to use computers
- more than 1.9 million people attend library programs.