Health & safety
Councils deliver a wide range of public health services, and prepare Public Health and Wellbeing Plans for their communities.
Services may include:
- Public health: registration and inspection of health (beauty) premises and prescribed accommodation
- Food regulation in Victoria: inspections, permits and registrations
- Community safety: CCTV security cameras, safe taxi ranks, school crossing supervisors
- Emergency management planning
- Public toilets
- Street lighting
- Litter bins
- Infection disease control
- Swimming pools, spas and their safety barriers
- Tobacco: enforcement of smoking laws and bans on sale of cigarettes and vapes to minors
- Monitoring for noise, smells, smoke and pest control.