Planning & building

In Victoria, councils issue planning permits in accordance with the Planning and Environment Act 1987. Building permits are issued under the Building Act 1983, and can be issued by either a private building surveyor or a municipal (council) building surveyor.

Councils also have responsibility for a range of other land use planning functions, and for enforcing certain parts of the Building Act and regulations. Services include:

  • Land use regulation, zone and overlay controls
  • Planning application assessments and permits
  • Neighbourhood character plans
  • Heritage overlays, protection and advice
  • Energy efficient housing design support
  • Building permits
  • Construction noise compliance
  • Building regulation safety and compliance
  • Provision of property information.

Each council prepares a planning scheme for its municipality, which must include the state planning policy framework and a local planning policy framework, as well as zones and overlays that control the use and development of land.

Learn more about

Did you know?

Councils help to plan for the future of their communities by processing more than 56,000 planning permit applications each year.