Business services

Businesses and sole trader operating in Victoria will need to register to ensure you can complete your business operations within the law.

Please visit Business Victoria to check what registration requirements your business needs.

At the local government level, businesses will need to apply for a license or business permit depending on the business or service being conducted.

This may include:

  • Licences: food premises, health (beauty) and body art premises, and accommodation premises (rooming houses, hotels, motels, hostels, dormitories, bed and breakfast)
  • Permits: business parking, skip bins, busking, footpath trading, personal fitness, mobile food trucks, signage, home-based businesses, fundraising and door-to-door collection, market stalls.

Please visit your local Council's website to learn more about business licenses and permit in your area.

Business Support

Councils may also have economic development and business advice officers available to assist local businesses in the different aspects of their business including business advice, support, counselling, mentoring, networks and training.

Please visit your local Council's website to see what business services are available.

Learn more about

Council officer visiting a business.