Local government is passionate about making Victorian communities a better place to live, work and play.
Councils help to raise community living standards, drive the local economy, develop major infrastructure projects, protect our natural environment and provide essential community services.
They are keen to employ people who share their passion, want to make their work count and contribute to making the community a better place.
There are lots of opportunities for graduates to make a difference, while kick-starting your career with invaluable learning experiences and developing your professional skills.
Why local government?
Councils are always on the lookout for future leaders and specialists to help shape their city or region.
A council career gives you the opportunity to work closely with the community and respond to people’s needs. The scale and scope of council responsibilities also offers the opportunity to be part of large-scale transformational community projects.
Working at council gives you:
- hands-on experience and accelerated learning
- opportunity for diverse tasks and being multi-skilled
- access to mentoring and support networks
- exposure to senior leaders
- work alongside the best experts in their fields
- professional development and study programs
- flexible working arrangements
- employee health, wellbeing and recreation programs.
- Health and community services
- Early Childhood, Disability, Health & Social Science, Social Work, Arts/Youth Affairs
- Civil, Design, Construction, Performance, Project Management, Structural, Traffic
- Corporate and business services
- Accounting, Business Management, Commerce, Communications, Economics, Finance, Human Resource Management, Information Technology, Law, Marketing, Policy
- Environmental management
- Landscape Architecture, Park Management, Science, Environmental health, Conservation
- Planning and development
- Town Planning, Architecture, Urban Design, Property & Construction Management, Building safety
To find out more information visit Careers at Council